VPS or virtual private server is a server in the cloud (hence the virtual part). Being a natural tech fanatic I have been debating on one for a while now. Since I have started to slow down (in between gigs) I have decided to purchase some server space. When I dove in and started “Googling” on a VPS there were millions and millions of sites offering your own slice of tech heaven.
There are 3 things that go into any server you are looking at.
- Ram. This one is huge. If you plan on running a Minecraft or game server then you really need a decent amount of ram. I choose one with a lower amount as this is easily upgradeable.
- Processor. This one isn’t as important. You are purchasing space in a huge datacenter. There is a good chance that you’ll end up with a wicked server grade processor/s.
- Space. Here is the kicker. Space. I am rocking 25GB of server space. Not a ton of room for storage after the OS is installed and updates are ran. I talk about it later but eventually I plan to upgrade my VPS.
After considering the pros and cons I went with a server based out of Quebec, Canada. In reality distance isn’t a huge factor. I needed something in North America and ovh.com seemed pretty solid. The good reviews online only helped. Yes I could of got a server in Chicago or somewhere close but hey. Why not?
My server proudly rocks:
- Windows Server 2012
- 2GB of Ram
- 25GB HDD
- 1 Single Core Xeon Processor
- Yes I could of gotten a better deal but the reviews don’t lie. Within an hour of purchasing I was up and going.
- My own IP Address
- What am I using this server for?
- Test and Development. This server has IIS. Currently I am running WordPress on it for development of some side projects I am working on (nothing against Host Gator).
- Minecraft Server. This makes 2 Minecraft Servers under the name of Cody Sweeny. Ha! This server is more of a behind the scenes development box. Testing out Bukkit and other cool stuff to deploy on my main server.
- A Rappelz Private Server is certainly a future possibility.
- Upgrade in Ram and Space. 2GB is enough but more wouldn’t be a bad idea long term. I am also nearly maxed out for hard drive space.
- Possibly some other game servers.
- This could also become a backup server for who knows what.
- Potentially migrate my website over to this. Security is an issue. I get lockout emails about twice a week with about 200 or so blacklisted ip addresses. Captcha is a wonderful thing and an easy way to prevent brute force logins.
- Teamspeak Server
The applications of a VPS are nearly limitless. I can’t wait to see where this goes!